Thursday, June 11, 2026

Treasure Hunt

The day after Baby's birthday, I remembered that she hadn't opened her card from my parents. It was stacked on the edge of the kitchen counter with all the other miscellaneous junk that accumulates there as quickly as snow in a blizzard. 

It's the result of having 2 family members who are creative types. They mindlessly pile things up while daydreaming about creative things. I don't understand this behavior. In case you haven't noticed, I'm more of the uptight and controlling type. (In a healthy way)

But I digress...

Baby opened her birthday card from Grandma and Grandpa! 


It was an adorable furry cat and she loved it. I took her up the road to the Super Target to spend the 50 bones they had generously given her. We zigzagged through the toy aisles for about 17 hours while Baby touched every toy and fiddled with every button, knob, and flashing light.

Everytime I asked if this was the toy she wanted to buy and take home she responded, "No," and puttered off to fondle the other merchandise.

And then the toy aisles ended and Baby was empty-handed. I was befuddled and wasn't sure what to do next. I thought about just pocketing her birthday money and picking out out a little treat for myself. I can blow 50 bucks at Target in 2 minutes. But it would probably be wrong to steal from a 3-year-old. (Am I right?) I instead suggested that we walk over to the crayon aisle and look for a drawing pad or somesing. On our way, we passed the bicycles and there was a wall of bike helmets. 

Baby froze and stared in awe. The wall of helmets suddenly illuminated and the angel choir sang, "Ahhhh." This was it. She was choosing a bike helmet as her gift.

After many minutes of contemplation, she settled on the pink kitty. But the Spiderman was a strong contender as well. 


We finished spending the rest of the cash on a drawing pad, stickers, markers, and a ginormous push pop. Whew!


And? And? They were handing out free popcorn! What a delightful surprise.


It was a wonderful day at Super Target. And now I'm tired.

Thank you for the birthday money, Grandma and Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment